- Widow must be between the ages of 18 and 45.
- Widow may or may not have children.
- Travel will be awarded within the first year following death of the widow’s spouse. Travel shall commence no earlier than six weeks following the passing of the spouse. Travel shall be completed within 12 months of the death of the spouse; however, in the event of extenuating circumstances the Board of Directors may vote to extend the travel completion date an additional six months if the Board determines that such extension is required for the widow to be able to complete the travel.
- Widow may be accompanied by up to three other adult women on her trip. No award will be made to minors. We very strongly encourage the widow to choose women who are not family members as traveling companions, but is not prohibited from traveling with family.
- Awards will be made without regard for financial status of the widow. Should the widow or any of her companions be capable of funding thair own individual travel or the travel of the entire group, we strongly recommend the widow or companion consider sponsorship of a future young cancer widow and her traveling companions.
- Widow may nominate herself, by a family member or by other acquaintance through the Fresh New Start website.
- All nominees will be contacted personally by Fresh New Start.
- A preliminary award status may be determined by the Award Review Committee of the Board of Directors if the widow fits the award criteria. Upon preliminary approval, the widow will be required to provide an official nomination letter or letter of support from a non-family member as well as a copy of the death certificate.
Initially, women from Florida will be given precedence in the award process as resources are limited. Likewise, travel will initially be awarded to locales within Florida unless a more financially responsible location is requested. As Fresh New Start grows and becomes more financially secure, we will make every effort to expand the awards to all young cancer widows for travel to the destination of her choosing.